1.-Do you know where Shakespeare got the idea for writing The Tempest?
2.-In Mid-Summer Night’s Dream Shakespeare used the plot device a play-within-a-play. The play of the story of Thesbe and Priamus was acted by the amateur Athenian actors. Where did Shakespeare borrow that story from?
3.-Goethe wrote Faust but two other famous authors used the same legend to write their stories. Who were they and what did they name their stories?
4.-Which historical events inspired Euripides to write the story of Trojan women?
1. Sea Venture's wreck is widely thought to have been the inspiration for Shakespeare's play, The Tempest. Sea Venture was a seventeenth-century English sailing ship on its way to the colony of Jamestown that sailed into a hurricane in Bermuda and got gravely damaged. All the passengers and the crew members survived but were stranded in Bermuda for 10 months and presumed dead until they built two small boats and finally reached Virginia.
2. Shakespeare borrowed the Roman myth Thisbe and Priamus from Ovid's poem, Metamorphoses.
3. The story of Faust was popularized in England by Christopher Marlowe, who used the legend in his play, The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus. Thomas Mann also wrote his novel Doctor Faustus: The Life of the German Composer Adrian Leverkühn.
4. Produced in 415 BC during the Peloponnesian War, it is believed to be a commentary on the capture of the Aegean island of Melos and the slaughter and subjugation of its people by the Athenians earlier that year. 415 BC was also the year the Athenians' second expedition to Sicily, which may also have influenced Euripides.
We offer kids advanced education and intellectual stimulation.
We help them enlighten their thinking and experiences.
We guide them to higher learning.
We enhance and discover their strengths and talents.
All is achieved while they are having an interactive and very entertaining time.
We have developed our method in a way that benefits kids the most. We teach for a lifetime.
Thus, we care about the meaningful and substantial learning and not the superficial that will be forgotten in a matter of days or months. We strive to create intellectual kids by reinforcing their memory of all the teachings through various entertaining activities, games, puzzles, quizzes and much more. We also take in consideration every kid’s personality in order to promote long-term learning and understanding in the best possible way. For these reasons we provide personalized attention to every kid and that can only work in a private one-to-one sessions and in semi-private small groups. Our group classes also accept a limited, small number of kids.
-Our curriculum is an intellectual journey that takes us from Ancient Mesopotamian Literature to Homer, Greek Drama, Mythology, Latin poetry, Dante Alighieri, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Goethe, Kafka and many more. From Socrates, Plato, Aristotle to Operas by Verdi, Rossini, Bizet, Mozart, and Ballets by Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, and many others and from Art History and Architecture to inspiring Biographies and more.
-Our method integrates all subjects with performing arts (theater, music, opera and dance), visual arts, language arts, logic, text analysis, creative writing, history, geography and sociology. We put all stories into their real context and time. Thus our students have complete ideas about all the works examined and the civilizations where they were produced.
-Our talented teaching team of actors, opera singers, dancers, philosophers, art teachers and other expert educators create a live experience of the story by acting, reciting, singing, playing music, dancing, painting etc.
-The kids are involved in the experience by participating actively in it. They learn the stories, the texts and the language. They also analyze the themes and the ideas while they are taught how to act, recite, and sing music, dance a variety of dances, paint, write and be creative in an array of fun activities and games.
- We use age appropriate vocabulary and concepts that protect children's sensibilities in order to teach children in a developmentally appropriate manner the work of the greatest writers and and artists and we progressively build the depth of the texts analysis and language as they age
-We engage kids to a higher cognitive process by using the Socratic and dialectic method of questioning. All kids even the very young learn to think for themselves by answering our questions, arriving to valid answers and debating with each other.
- The memorization and recitation of poetry and prose lines is an integral part of what we do. It trains children's memory and stores beautiful language in their mind that can be accessible to them whenever them want to. We have many entertaining forms of repetition and we employ them often so kids continue to remember for really long time.
-Our educators challenge the young minds throughout the sessions and lift their imaginations to new heights by giving them the tools of rigorous and passionate intellectual inquiry and self-expression so they can grow in the best way.